BMW 3 95myr M3 fuel level and coolant temp inputs to Dash2

osborni

Postby osborni » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 am

I used third party sensors to get temps from the engine. Using the stock ones risks goobering up the ECU as they are NTC and do not send out their own signal as does the TPS.

Install temp senders in custom or aftermarket manifolds. I installed an aluminum t-stat housing and tapped that for a sensor for water temperature and use a version of the bimmerworld tap block for oil temp and pressure. I have also seen hardware store brass parts used to pull water temp from the water lines running to the throttle body as well as temp sensors that replace the oil pan bung for oil T.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

zola1

Postby zola1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Yes, i take your point on the sensor corruption... Also i could not get the Dash to accept a config via the SD card insertion technique in the DL1. I had to go through the serial port...a real pita as my laptop does not have a serial port. Had to rig up an old desktop in the garage...lol deep joy.

Er the USB port in the front of the DL1 will that allow the config to access the Dash 2 ? E.g plug laptop into USB and send config via USB into DL1 ..then hopefully it will send it onto the DASH2 via the serial port ?

cheers

ps. how do add jpegs or screenshots ? there does not appear to be an add attach button (browse my c drive ) is how i normally do it ...the img button does not do anything ...pc monkey i'm afraid :D

osborni

Postby osborni » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I use photobucket to load up pics then use the "Img" button to link the hyperlink.

Much faster to load configs through the DL1 then the serial port....
BMW 2000 M Coupe

zola1

Postby zola1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:56 pm

osborni wrote:I use photobucket to load up pics then use the "Img" button to link the hyperlink.

Much faster to load configs through the DL1 then the serial port....

Do you mean via the USB ?...as the SD card will not load a config up to the dash2 !

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 pm

I have a DL1mk2 and load configs and flashes to the Dash2 through the DL1's CF card.

I've used serial direct to the Dash2, but only when I first received it to load the initial config in and to a flash update. Took longer to figure out the cable and comm ports then to do the value added work.

Don't know about the DL1mk3 though.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Support

DL1 mk3

Postby Support » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 am

Hello,

You cannot configure a DASH2 using the DL1 mk3's USB port. Only the DASH3 and DASH4 can you configure in this way.

I have configured a DASH2 many times using the SD card. I recommend you put the latest firmware on the DL1 from the website as it has had many improvements.

Check the file is called DASH.DAT and not DASH.DAT.DAT

If you didn't buy the DASH2 with the DL1 check it is not locked to another DL1 by holding down when switching on. (It will display serial number it is locked to. No serial number means not locked)

Kind regards,
K

Return to “Sensor-related questions”