Oil temp and water temp sensors

haggi961

Oil temp and water temp sensors

Postby haggi961 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can help me as I'm having problems trying to find a temperature sensor to fit for my water and also oil temperature that will work with the dash.
I have fitted adaptors to my car that have a 1/8 NTP hole ready for a sensor which RT sell in a 1/8 size. The problem being is the sensor is to long and will not screw all the way into the adaptor I have as it will bottom out.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the 1/8 NTP water/oil sensor that RT sell? I have the part number for the m12x 1.5 water/ oil temp sensor but not the 1/8 version.

Unless anyone has found another oil/water temp sensor that's 1/8 NTP and isn't really long and has the calibrations for the dash2 then that would be great.

Any help on this would be fantastic as this is the last step to get the dash fully working in my car.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Autometer has a short one-wire sensor that will work (p/n 2259), assuming what you are screwing it into is grounded. The calibration curve is readily available with some searching and of course you will need to use a pull up resistor.

Otherwise - for things like oil temp, diff temp, etc where you are running hose, you can use a tee and the "Oil Temperature Adapters - 950" on page 30 of 64 of the Fragola catalog, which is available here: http://fragolaperformancesystems.com/ca ... atalog.pdf

haggi961

Postby haggi961 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks for getting back to me,
I would still need it to be a 2 wire sensor as there's no ground where it's getting fitted.
This is the adaptor i have to fit in my car

The big one fits the oil temp sensors and is a M/F/F 1/2 BSP X 1/2 BSP X 1/8 BSP and the little one fits the oil pressure and is M12 X 1.75
The RT sensor is to long and will bottom out if I buy the 1/8 NPT version sensor as that will screw straight into the adaptor i have.
If I bought the m12x 1.5 sensors then bought there adaptor which has a 1/8ntp and then converts to the m12x 1.5 would you reckon this would give enough distance so it doesn't bottom out.

I don't think the adaptors you have sent me the link to will work as my car has some dodgy size threads. If I could find a adaptor that could screw into the 1/8 BSP on the big adaptor and is then long enough that the M12 X 1.5 sensor can screw into then that would be perfect.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 pm

That one wire Autometer sensor is the only short sensor that I have seen.
Is there anywhere else you use for getting the temp or add some hose/fittings to use the Fragola/tee setup?

Would either of these possibly work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-NPT-brass-e ... 3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEROFLOW-AF372- ... 3641.l6368

osborni

Postby osborni » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 am

You could drill and tap a ground screw into the adapter then use the Autometer one. Don't need much of a wire to ground it properly.

Otherwise, any combination of automotive or hardware store parts to get the right stand-off will work. I've used brass plumbers fittings before quite well.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Return to “Sensor-related questions”