Thermocouple Amp Temperature incorrect in Analysis software ?

Jams

Thermocouple Amp Temperature incorrect in Analysis software ?

Postby Jams » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:27 pm

HI all

I am logging cylinder head temperature on an air cooled beetle engine with a K type thermocouple connected to a head stud. I am using RT's high range (-100C to +1150C) thermocouple amp. However I am getting different temperatures reported in the Analysis program versus the Dash3. It looks me, if the thermocouple amp is calibrated the way I think it is, that the Analysis program numbers are wrong.

I did a test as follows :-

- I removed my thermocouple from the cylinder head and placed it in a water I had heated in a kettle.
- Voltage measured on the sensor input to DL1 was 0.55v
- Dash3 showed temperature of 40.8deg C
- Logged data and loaded it up in Analysis
- Sensor type is correctly configured as the high range thermocouple to display in degrees C - It showed 247deg C !!!!!
- To check I went into the variable manager and told the software to display the channel as volatage - it showed 0.548v as expected

Question : What is the correct calibration function for this thermocouple amp ?

I have read elsewhere in the forum X/0.004 - 100 (where X is input voltage), which makes sense to me if output is linear - but it is clearly NOT what is programmed in to the Analysis program.

All help gratefully received.

Jimmy

Support

Re: Thermocouple Amp Temperature incorrect in Analysis software ?

Postby Support » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi there,

would you please be able to send the run file with the symptoms to the below email? It should be much easier for me to diagnose the fault with this file.

sam@race-technology.com

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

Jams

Re: Thermocouple Amp Temperature incorrect in Analysis software ?

Postby Jams » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Just for the record, this probelem was solved by going into the file ment on Analysis and doing a "Reset to factory settings". I had sent my saved variable information file to Sam on the support team and it appeared to have been corrupted in some way. The Reset and then reconfiguring my variables and saving a new variable information file solved the problem.

Thanks Sam

Jimmy

Return to “Sensor-related questions”