Boost Pressure Sensor - Incorrect Results so faulty ?

Jams

Boost Pressure Sensor - Incorrect Results so faulty ?

Postby Jams » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi

I am getting incorrect output from the Race Technology Boost pressure sensor. I bought this very recently with a 2m cable. I am using this to measure the intake manifold pressure on my normally aspirated single seater. I understand that this measures absolute pressure and so a zero output indicates a full vacuum and 1 bar output indicates normal atmospheric pressure.

I note from the product page that this sensor gives an output of 0.5v to 4.5v which translates to 0bar to 4bar absolute. I am feeding the sensor with +5v from one of the +5v supply outputs on my DL1mk3.

With the engine not running, and therefore the inlet manifold at atmospheric pressure, I am getting output of 0.98v (0.48bar).

Then when I start the engine and run the engine with a low throttle opening, and showing about 0.8bar of vacuum (0.2bar absolute pressure) on my separate hand held vacuum gauge, the Race Technology sensor is returning 1.15v (0.65bar).

The output I am getting is clearly not correct. I have confirmed the output using a different cable and a different input on the DL1mk3.

It appears to me that the sensor is faulty, but wanted to check on this forum first. Is there anything I could be missing ?

Thanks

Support

Re: Boost Pressure Sensor - Incorrect Results so faulty ?

Postby Support » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 am

Hello,

Very strange.

I have never seen a sensor go up in voltage with a drop in pressure. It makes me think 5v and ground might be reversed.

Please can you remove the connector and check the voltages using a multi-meter?

Kind regards,
Support (K)

Jams

Postby Jams » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi

Can I confirm that the diagram above showing the Vs and GND pins is shown looking INTO THE SENSOR, not looking in to the connector on the cable ?

If this is the case then my connections are correct and the voltage measured by multimeter is 5.00V (Vs vs GND). It did note that, with the cable disconnected, V out measured 0.15V vs GND. I don't know if that is unusual.

If the above is all as expected then, does it appear that the sensor is faulty.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jimmy

Support

Postby Support » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am

Hello,

I can confirm the picture is looking into the sensor.

I suspect the senor is not working correctly and it is time to return the sensor for inspection. Apologies first time I have seen this!

Please send forum link to service @ race - technology . com and they will send you an RMA.

Kind regards,
Kieran

Return to “Sensor-related questions”