Strain gauges on DL1

Armaki

Strain gauges on DL1

Postby Armaki » Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 am

We recently got the task of installing some strain gauges on critical components of a rally car, for development purposes.
Has anybody tried to log data from such sensors on a RT logger?
The car has a MK3 club installed and it would be useful to have all signals (GPS, speed, G-sensor,...)synchronized on one logger and avoid an additional logger just for the strain gauges.
Any hints?
Thanks!

924RACR

Re: Strain gauges on DL1

Postby 924RACR » Thu May 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Interested in what you find; I've been looking at upgrading to strain gauges on my car, after a few seasons of running position sensors...

Armaki

Postby Armaki » Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 pm

I am looking for a rather straightforward solution.
The main issue is whether an amplifier (and which) is needed.
I am quite sure RT-support has a hint!

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon May 07, 2018 12:28 pm

I would fully expect an amplifier is needed; pretty sure there are no strain gauges that'd provide a big enough signal to measure, not unlike TCs or such.

Had looked at this style of amplifier, though there was some question raised if it would work in an automotive environment...
https://www.amazon.com/Loadcell-Strain- ... 8TT3VCZQAF

I was recommended to request an amplifier recommendation from the guys who install the load cells... have plenty of those suppliers in town, thankfully.

But I won't be doing this any time soon, as I won't be racing much this year... just keeping tabs on the topic for the future...

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm

I have no experience (or affiliation) with this - but it is something to consider: http://www.izzeracing.com/products/stra ... ifier.html

Armaki

Postby Armaki » Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 am

Thanks for the ideas Guys!

I also started from the Amazon parts, but my doubts are similar. Will it stand in the car? Will it work with the battery 12v? And so on.

The izzeracing option seems very interesting! My Dl1 is CAN acrivated, so it should be quite straightforward. Definitely something to consider!

Cheers

Return to “Sensor-related questions”