Dash2 CAN feed from ECU sent in C but displayed in F

MartekTurbo

Dash2 CAN feed from ECU sent in C but displayed in F

Postby MartekTurbo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:59 am

Good afternoon,

I have a Dash2 and a Microsquirt V3.0. I have the Race Technology CAN adapter.

It's all easy to use and hookup but I have noticed an error in the setup program for the Dash.

The ECU is outputting Coolant temperature in Celcius according to the values in Tuner Studio and the logs, the Dash is displaying the temp in Fahrenheit, even when Celcius is selected in the ECU interface settings.

If I use 73 F as an example.

If I choose C in the settings F is diplaying.
If I choose F in the setting it multiplies it even further, reading appox 165 F.

The equation to convert to F is 1.8*x + 32

What equation do I have to use to get the F reading to diplay in C?

I find the manual equation box a bit confusing.
Screenshot 2023-06-20 144943.png
Screenshot 2023-06-20 144943.png (62.61 KiB) Viewed 49640 times
I've also noticed in the Dash2 setup software that when in ECU Interface setup I can only use Megasquirt MS2 Serial Interface. I am using CAN.

I can only see the correct adapter - Megasquirt MS2 CAN interface (CAN) listed when i go into the ECU Interface setup for the Dash2Pro which I don't have.

Image in post below, posting multiple images isn't working too well.

I gather I can't add my CAN DBC files to a Dash2 and sort it all out myself. If I could I'd like to do that instead.

In hindsight I wish I had purchased the Dash2Pro (shame it's NLA) as adding a data logger to this bike is near on impossible due to space limitations.

(Not sure what is happening with my post, images keep disappearing when trying to add multiples)

MartekTurbo

Re: Dash2 CAN feed from ECU sent in C but displayed in F

Postby MartekTurbo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:08 am

The other image regarding the CAN adapter being available in Dash2Pro ECU Interface setup but only the serial version able to be selected in the Dash2 ECU Interface setup.
Screenshot 2023-06-20 145242.png
Screenshot 2023-06-20 145242.png (166.83 KiB) Viewed 49639 times

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:27 pm

When the data is handled internally it is always in Degrees C. The choice of units for displaying each parameter are selected in the LCD Data area. For each temperature variable displayed you can then select if you want to show it in Degrees C, Degrees F, or K.

MartekTurbo

Postby MartekTurbo » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:46 pm

Yes, I am aware of that thank you. It seems you may have missed the point. The dash program calculations for C and F are incorrect.

ECU sending data in C, dash is set to C, dash is still displaying in F.

If I choose F it multiplies F by the F formula. So F with the following equation appplied to it: 1.8*x + 32

If F is 73 it then multiplies 1.8 x 73 + 32 = 163

It should be displaying 23 C.

I need to know what formula to put in the custom formula field to bring the F displayed (should be C) back down to C.

A formula would be an easy fix, an update of the Dash V10 software would be the harder fix.

MartekTurbo

Postby MartekTurbo » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:55 am

When the data is handled internally it is always in Degrees C. The choice of units for displaying each parameter are selected in the LCD Data area. For each temperature variable displayed you can then select if you want to show it in Degrees C, Degrees F, or K.
In the LCD Data area I have no choice of temperature, I have variable to display, display label and decimal places as pictured.
Screenshot 2023-06-24 105052.png
Screenshot 2023-06-24 105052.png (196.16 KiB) Viewed 49546 times
I can only see the option to change temperature display variables in the ECU Interface section of the Dash2 setup, that's the area I am saying is not working as it should.

MartekTurbo

Postby MartekTurbo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:23 pm

Further to this, on your own page at the following link it states tempertaure is received in F.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... NInterface

1.png
1.png (57.66 KiB) Viewed 49479 times

Could somoene please give me an answer? I need a second dash and fixing this will determine if I buy a Race2 dash again for one of the other bikes or I start looking at other products.

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:20 pm

Apologies, I understand now. The issue isn't with the display on the DASH2, the problem is in the configuration file for the CAN interface. It should be configured to convert the values from the ECU to degrees C before they are transmitted. If you email mhill at race-technology.com I can send you an updated configuration for your ECU inteface which will fix this issue.

MartekTurbo

Postby MartekTurbo » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:34 am

Apologies, I understand now. The issue isn't with the display on the DASH2, the problem is in the configuration file for the CAN interface. It should be configured to convert the values from the ECU to degrees C before they are transmitted. If you email mhill at race-technology.com I can send you an updated configuration for your ECU inteface which will fix this issue.
Thank you so much. Email incoming.

MartekTurbo

Postby MartekTurbo » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:28 pm

Solved with update CAN file for adapter. Thank you very much. :D

Return to “Sensor-related questions”