sensor voltage weirdness..

Mats

sensor voltage weirdness..

Postby Mats » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 pm

I bought a couple of pots today, 10Kohms. Wired them up to the DL1 from the 5v output, through the whole range I can't get anything else then 4.7v to 5v on any of the pots.
Measured with a multimeter the pots read from 0 to 10Kohm no problems.

What gives? Need more resistance to get the voltage down? How do I do that? Newbie to these kind of things. :oops:
Does it really matter or can I use that anyway and just adjust the scale?

On the other hand, where are all the specs on the DL1 unit? I read different things on different pages on even Race Technologys own site. Is the GPS 5 or 10Hz? Are there 4 5v inputs and 4 12v inputs or are they all 12v or are there actually only 7 analog inputs even though there are 8 terminals on the back? Which ones are 5v in that case?

I know the unit is lowish priced but hey, how about getting the specs correct and some documentation and instruction on paper, I hate help-files since thay always link in circles... :roll:

I got a new unit btw, single black connector at the rear and the serial is on the rear too.

Mats

Postby Mats » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Wised up a little and added a 2kohm voltage divider. Got almost the full range now. :)
/Mats

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:53 pm

You need a voltage divider.... :)

For others, the DL1 analog inputs are for voltage, not resistance, so I three wire (5V, ground, signal out) sensor connection is needed.

New DL1s have 8 user analog channels and 10Hz GPS.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Mats

Postby Mats » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks.

So all the 8 analog channels are 12v?

What is the resistance in the analog inputs? For instance, can I put sneak a lead from my brake light to an input terminal without frying the DL1?
/Mats

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Fri May 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi:

On latest DL1s all analog channels are 0-12V.

Analog impedence is high, you certainly won't fry anything by feeding in a "no load" 12V.
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

Return to “Sensor-related questions”