Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Moderators: jlucas, RTUSA, kieran

Roundy

Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby Roundy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:28 am

Hi There,

I have just installed a Dash2Pro with GPS logging on my car, and just wondering if I can use the GPS for speed?

The config for speed is set to GPS, with the input is apparently set to 'Any Serial Port'.

Looking through Variable Source, I can't seem to find anywhere to change it.

Is it a case that the standard GPS can't be used for this?

Cheers
Nathan

Support (D)

Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby Support (D) » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42 am

Hello Nathan,

Yes this is possible, please follow the instructions below:

1) Ensure the DASH 2 PRO has the latest firmware installed (4.0.36) to check this turn the unit on and look for the number next to 'Main V', this should be 4.00.36.

2) Open the DASH 2 PRO software and open the configuration you currently have on the unit. If you cannot find the config file simply connect the dash to the computer using the supplied serial lead, select the P.C. port the dash is connected to on the software window (bottom left) and use the 'read configuration' function to get the config from the unit onto the software.

3) Go into the variable source section of the software and set the 'GPS receiver data' & 'Lap timing data' channels to 'take from units built in inputs and sensors', select OK when this is done.

3) Next go to the set up speed readout section of the software, ensure the data source is set to 'Display GPS based speed (current source any serial port)' and select OK.

4) Send the config to the dash using the 'send configuration' tab and wait for the new config to be installed, when the config has been sent restart / power cycle the dash.

This should now display the speed based on GPS data taken directly from the DASH 2 PRO, to check this please go out and do a short run keeping an eye on the speed reading on the dash.

Be aware the speed will not begin to update on the dash until it has obtained a valid GPS lock, so ensure the GPS antenna has a clear view of the sky above for a minute or so before testing.

If you run into trouble drop me an email at: daniel@race-technology.com
and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Dan

Roundy

Postby Roundy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks for that Dan.

Firmware was v3.something.

What is the minimum speed it picks up with the gps?

Pretty sure i have everything set as described, and will know if it works for sure tomorrow, but driving it onto the trailer today it didn't slow any speed.

Support (D)

Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby Support (D) » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:52 am

Hello Nathan,

No problem, the minimum speed the dash will display when taking the speed from GPS should be around 1-2 mph provided the unit has a valid GPS lock.

The GPS becomes more accurate when the dash receives a GPS heading. So when the car is stationary the GPS speed can jump around a little, however once the car is in motion the GPS will then have a heading and therefore become accurate.

Let me know tomorrow what the results of testing were and if you run into any complications.

Best regards,
Dan

Roundy

Postby Roundy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi Dan,

No joy so far, driving around the pits and no speed displayed, the screen was showing full GPS reception

Everything is set as described.

Edit: Just realised, I am running an Adaptronic ECU that is plugged in through the serial port, but the speed isn't calibrated from that.

I just unticked the speed from ECU to be from inbuilt sensrors.

Edit 2: no luck at all with gps or ecu speed, so getting no distance or speed.

Support (D)

Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby Support (D) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:55 am

Hello Nathan,

OK if you email me at:

daniel@race-technology.com

We'll work through your issue and get you up and running.

Kind regards,
Dan

nik9669

Re: Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby nik9669 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Support (D) wrote:Hello Nathan,

Yes this is possible, please follow the instructions below:

1) Ensure the DASH 2 PRO has the latest firmware installed (4.0.36) to check this turn the unit on and look for the number next to 'Main V', this should be 4.00.36.

2) Open the DASH 2 PRO software and open the configuration you currently have on the unit. If you cannot find the config file simply connect the dash to the computer using the supplied serial lead, select the P.C. port the dash is connected to on the software window (bottom left) and use the 'read configuration' function to get the config from the unit onto the software.

3) Go into the variable source section of the software and set the 'GPS receiver data' & 'Lap timing data' channels to 'take from units built in inputs and sensors', select OK when this is done.

3) Next go to the set up speed readout section of the software, ensure the data source is set to 'Display GPS based speed (current source any serial port)' and select OK.

4) Send the config to the dash using the 'send configuration' tab and wait for the new config to be installed, when the config has been sent restart / power cycle the dash.

This should now display the speed based on GPS data taken directly from the DASH 2 PRO, to check this please go out and do a short run keeping an eye on the speed reading on the dash.

Be aware the speed will not begin to update on the dash until it has obtained a valid GPS lock, so ensure the GPS antenna has a clear view of the sky above for a minute or so before testing.

If you run into trouble drop me an email at: daniel@race-technology.com
and I'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Dan

Dan:

Is there any way the speed source could be selected from inbuilt menus/buttons? If the unit loses GPS the shift/warning lights flash the warning (a real pain if reception is patchy and it keeps happening) and it's a pain having to hook up a PC to re-configure it, and a concern on the road to have no speedo!

Thanks in anticipation...

Nick

Support (D)

Dash2Pro GPS Speed

Postby Support (D) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:47 am

Hello Nathan,

Unfortunately on the DASH 2 PRO there is not an option for speed data selection in the menu area. I can see where you are coming from and so will have a chat about getting that built in to the units, however this may take some time.

Things that can hinder GPS performance are things such as:

The GPS antenna not having a clear view of the sky
The GPS antenna cable being 'trapped'

If any of these conditions are present please correct them and try again.

Best regards,
Dan

marceltme

Postby marceltme » Mon May 09, 2016 8:04 am

Hi,

so does the Dash2 Pro has a inbuild GPS for Speed measuring or do I Need to buy an extra GPS Sensor?

Polzi

Postby Polzi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello,
Day bay Day i learn more abot my Dash2...
but i still do not get the GPS Speed in the LCD Data Area.
I would like to have a screen with the normal Speed Area showing internal spade and the 3rd Display Area showing GPS Speed to see if there is a difference.
Unfortunately the GPS Speed just shows 0.
GPS Works, but in the Variable source menu the speed menu is not possible to change to internal.
How ca i get it to show what i need?

Robert

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Robert

Please can you confirm what equipment you are using?

Do you have the DASH2PRO with GPS enabled, or a DASH2 and separate data logger?

Polzi

Postby Polzi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am

HI,
i am using a Dash2Pro with GPS enabled.

Robert

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 am

Hi Robert,

On the LCD data areas section, ensure that GPS raw velocity is selected for display.

Also ensure that the unit definitely has a valid GPS lock. This is shown by the lock indicator at the top left corner of the screen.

Kind Regards,
RT Support (SK)

Polzi

Postby Polzi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi
works perfect now, thank You!

Robert

Return to “GPS-specific questions”