Bluetooth link

nikpro

Bluetooth link

Postby nikpro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:31 am

Would like to see Bluetooth capability in DL1 so live data can be streamed and data from memory card can be read. Unit would then not have to be accesable.
Fraser E White

V8Mike

Postby V8Mike » Sat May 14, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm only a couple of years late in seeing this ;-)

I've never tried but there are devices like the Serial to USB connectors that do Serial to Bluetooth:
http://www.brainboxes.com/bluetooth-serial-port

I don't know if the software owuld see it, but it's a start...

scausa

Postby scausa » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:43 pm

I bought 2 brainboxes devices for other porpouse and test with race technology products and does not run fine.
Great service of brainboxes but I can't reach it runs fine...

ECOELEC

Bluetooth DL1 solution

Postby ECOELEC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi,

I've found a solution for communication with the DL1 (&DL2) through a Bluetooth connection.

I use a DL1MK3 or DL2 + Dash4pro.
I bought an LM-058 (LM technology) which is a long range BT adaptator (150m open air tested).

I modified the splitter cable of the DL1MK3 (sended with second serial option) to put 12V on the 9th pin (wired to the 7th one), in order to power the LM-058 (the 0V was well wired).

I install the BT adaptator as a COM port (COM8, for instance) and connected it from lite monitor or monitor directly (in 115200 bauds).

Best regards and good luck.

Jean-Michel

Crhoades

Re: Bluetooth DL1 solution

Postby Crhoades » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:14 pm

ECOELEC wrote:Hi,

I've found a solution for communication with the DL1 (&DL2) through a Bluetooth connection.

I use a DL1MK3 or DL2 + Dash4pro.
I bought an LM-058 (LM technology) which is a long range BT adaptator (150m open air tested).

I modified the splitter cable of the DL1MK3 (sended with second serial option) to put 12V on the 9th pin (wired to the 7th one), in order to power the LM-058 (the 0V was well wired).

I install the BT adaptator as a COM port (COM8, for instance) and connected it from lite monitor or monitor directly (in 115200 bauds).

Best regards and good luck.

Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel or Support,

I have been following this thread and have recently purchased a LM-058 and a DL1 MK3 as well.

In reading through the documentation, I must admit that I am a little confused. Would it be possible to dialog and walk me through the steps to get this working?

I would greatly appreciate it. Chris Rhoades.

ECOELEC

Postby ECOELEC » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Crhoades,

I can help you

1 - modify the DB9 splitter: open the shell of both male RS232 DB9 connector and solder a jump between the pint 7 and pin 9 (red wire). The initial pinout could be found here: http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... onnections.

2 - connect the LM058 to your computer with an usb cable and launch the LM149 configuration tool (LM149 Config v1.5 Setup.exe, easy to find on the web) and set: the pin code, the Baude Rate to 115200; no parity, flow control disabled, and set to on : Discoverable, Slave mode, Auto connect, Escape mode, Echo on, Command response, Remote configuration

3 - Connect the LM058 to the DL1 with the DB9 male RS232 one or two; power on the DL1 and verify that the red leds of the LM058 lit and the blue one blink (the little switch of the LM059 must be pushed in direction of the DB connector).

4 - Be shure that the BT of your computer is enabled (inside or outside your computer) and open the Bluetooth periferial configuration window. Clic "add a device" (or something like that, i use the french Windows version!) and you must see a Serial adapter. Choose it and select the second option (connect it with the key). Introduce the pin code you defined at point 1.

5 - clic right on the bluetooth icon (perhaps hidden in the extended icons of the tray bar) and select "define parameters". Select the second tab "com ports". If you don't see any COM port, add one outgoing and one ingoing with the selected button (chose the serial adapter as hardware).

6 - to check the communication, start the Race technology lite monitor utility and select the ingoing COM port with the 115200 Bauds. Click connect and the miracle should appear.

I hope you will find the solution (sorry for my approximative "english", i'm frenchspeaking). If you need the configuration tool, i can send it on your PM.

With this BT link, i cand receive and write to the DL1 and DL2 without any cable.

Best regards[/img]

Crhoades

Postby Crhoades » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for. And don't worry about your English - I'm from Kentucky!

Before I do this (I need to get a usb>serial adapter), I am not running a Dash monitor. If I power the adapter through the external USB, do I need to modify anything or can I just plug it directly into the back of the DL1?

Thanks again.

ECOELEC

Postby ECOELEC » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 pm

You can power the LM adaptator trough the usb and connect-it to the DL1 with the DB9 but it as no sense because the 12V is available on the DL1 and an usb is not really easy to find into a race car. Except 12V, all others pins are ok.

However, it's true that the USB is only for powering it, not for configuring it, as i wrote wrongly. For this, i used a simple Trendnet TU-S9 USB-Serial adaptator which work fine, but i hope that other models works also.
If you have an "older" tower computer, you'll probably have an RS232 physical com port rear.

Greetings from Belgium.

Crhoades

Postby Crhoades » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:29 am

I will try to post pictures later...

I have followed your great instructions. I have the lm058 plugged directly into the serial port off of the back of the dl1 mk3. I have a power supply going directly into the receiver. Red light is on. switch is pushed toward the dl1. light is blue and flashing.

Configured the device in the lm49 software as you suggested and paired it.

in the lite monitor, I can connect to the com port and it shows connected.

However, top of the title bar shows unit connected: n/a firmware: n/a
Variables are blank...Evidently no data is streaming.

I have started the logger and still no data.

I am leaving for a trip and won't be able to post pictures/video until the end of the week.

If anything strikes you, please let me know.

If I am ever in Belgium, I will definitely buy you a beer or bring you a bottle of Bourbon. Thanks for your help.

P.S. you might find this interesting. This isn't going in a racecar but in a large haul truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_v0pA7emFo
Their max speed is around 35 mph.

ECOELEC

Postby ECOELEC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:43 am

I try your configuration (LM directly on the DL1, powered with a usb cable). I have two COM port and I use the outgoing one (COM5 here) and it works.

But ... what version of DL1 are you using? I use the DL1/MK3 with two serial ports. The Power Logger version don't have any RS232 port.

JM

Return to “New hardware feature requests”