Dot Matrix Dash?

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Dot Matrix Dash?

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 am

It would be really nice if you guys were working on a successor to the Dash2 with a programmable dot matrix display (like a 5 inch version of the the Dash3).

As long as we're dreaming, can we have colour yet? I'm starting to see other devices on the market now with colour displays that can be read in sunlight. So the display technology must be there...

That would be the cat's ass...
Peter Carroll, Toronto, Canada
DL1 and Dash2 - http://DriversMeeting.com/pcarroll

faraday

Postby faraday » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 am

Cat's ass... :?:

In Australia, we say Duck's Nuts :!:

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Although there are advantages in terms of what can be done on dot matrix displays, there are also compromises to be had, it is unlikely that the DASH2 replacement will have a dot matrix display or be colour. There are plenty of other features planned for that though.

evl

Postby evl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 pm

What are the compromises? Aside from the size, why is the Dash2 display better than the Dash3 display?

osborni

Postby osborni » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:55 pm

Perhaps the OP's concept is around legibility?

One of the issues that I have with my Dash2 is the clarity of the text and how fast I can read it.

I think there are two parts to that.
1) The 7 segment text isn't very legible as compared to a proper font type
2) I don't have as much control over the number of significant digits displayed - particularly for the segment and lap times, as I would like.
BMW 2000 M Coupe

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Mon May 17, 2010 2:01 pm

One thing that I have never been able to understand is why when the Dash2 comes up in test mode (like when you mess up the flashing process) the display contrast is fantastic. But when it comes up in normal mode the contrast is not so sharp.

Most LCD devices have a wheel to adjust the contrast. I assume this is a voltage. Can we not have some equivalent? Either by an external resistor or under software control would be nice. It would fit nicely into the config menu of the Dash2.

Support

Postby Support » Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

There isn’t anything in the current hardware for adjusting the contrast on the DASH2, this will definitely appear in future versions.

Peter Carroll/Toronto

Postby Peter Carroll/Toronto » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 am

My desire for a dot matrix display is to get more information on the main screen.

I want to see more sensor data than will fit one one page. I also don't want to be toggling between pages in the heat of battle - especially given the time delay required between changing pages. It takes forever to get back to page 1.

I would for example like to see Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel level, and Volts at the same time.

An easy alternative would be to allow us to program two variables on the odometer line which is a complete waste of display space in most of the installations.

It would also be good to disable pages if there is nothing displayed on them. Then I could toggle between page 1 and 2 only if that's all I need. i.e. Skip pages 3 to 5 since they are empty.

Return to “New hardware feature requests”