Predictive lap timing

disquek

Postby disquek » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Is it possible yet to display the predictive lap timing generated by a Mk3 on a Dash2?

This has been wanting for well over a year now.

-Kyle

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Same here...

Joao Basso

Continuos predictive lap timming

Postby Joao Basso » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28 pm

I have tryed the continuos predictive lap timer from racelogic and it is great because not only you know how much your gained or lost so far at any point, you can also see if you have done well your last corner by seeing the value decreasing or increasing.

This would be a very good add in the future.
João Basso

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 am

With the Mk3 DL1 and a suitable dash display you can get 'Live Timeslip' which is effectively what you are talking about with the continuous predictive lap timer. Not only that but you can get live timslip 'sector based' which shows how much better/worse you are doing in the current sector [which you would want for testing] or 'lap based' which you would want for quali.

In fact you can display both AND use the LEDs as an 'corner of the eye' indicator of whether you are up or down. For instance you could have a red LED light up for every tenth you are down and green for if you are up (the increment is configurable).

I did some video using the Mk3 DL1 and a DASH4Pro

This shows normal onboard race footage with dash display superimposed bottom left
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtd_ZcP8orI

And this is purely the dash display with detailed explanation what is going on and what each display item refers to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jqox8bEKu4

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:27 pm

RT should give you a hefty discount off your next order as that really shows the power of the dash 4/Mk3 setup.

WOULD BE GREAT if RT sold a larger Dash4 (like a Dash 6 or 7) which would allow the timeslip LEDs, have more LEDs (on top) for shift lights, LEDs on the bottom for warning lights, some more space to show "regular" engine parameters and the ability to accept a couple external buttons to scroll through the screens.

Turby

Postby Turby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 pm

does it "predict" based on time / distance or does it use a time / GPS coords vector algorithm ?

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Turby wrote:does it "predict" based on time / distance or does it use a time / GPS coords vector algorithm ?

Actually Live Timeslip and/or Predictive lap time is very complexed. All 'it' (any system) knows is where you are at that moment on track and it also knows how long it took you on your best lap (or best sector if using sector based) to get from that location to the end of the lap (in time).

It not uncommon for even a fairly consistent driver to vary the distance covered over a lap by ~8mtrs and a less consistent driver/one who is learning the circuit or trying new lines to be quite a bit more than this.

So, it can never be totally accurate (8mtrs @ 80mph is 0.20) but it's as accurate as it can be.

Calculated over a sector basis will at least iron out the inconsistencies and be closer than if done (in total) over a lap distance as the time/distance is reset on every sector marker.

This is under the users control (via the .LAP file on the card)

You can still have multiple sectors defined even if you choose to do Lap Based Live Timeslip and it will be sync'd at every sector marker.

So, if you did do some extra distance on a sector such that it would 'normally' push the live timeslip/predictive lap time out, it will be updated as you cross the next sector marker.

This is the most flexible way of doing it as it's under the users control.

ALL systems have this limitation (even F1) but most opt for one system or another to keep track.

Turby

Postby Turby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm very aware of the limitations of time/distance algorithms in predicting lap times. Which is why I asked the question - a vector based algorithm is much more accurate and can be made to run very efficiently on embedded controller without a floating point support. I believe its how one of RT competitors do it. I've also prototyped similar integer vector based algorithm for an embedded controller ;)

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:02 am

I wanted predictive but was disappointed that with RT, the only option was to throw away my existing logger and buy a new one that supported it. So in the end I bought an AIM Solo which does predictive and has the display in one. I still use my DL1 for data logging though.

Bikey

Postby Bikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:26 pm

All RT loggers support predictive lap timing.
Only the MK3s support time slip.
And you would hardly "throw away" an older logger, there is a strong market for used RT loggers.

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 pm

I agree RT loggers support sector based predictive timing prior to the Mk3, but not continuous predictive timing (which is what I believe most people expect by the phrase 'predictive timing').

Agree that I would not 'throw away' my DL1 Mk2, but sell it for about £150.

Return to “New hardware feature requests”