Display visibility in open-cockpit cars - feedback/request

924RACR

Display visibility in open-cockpit cars - feedback/request

Postby 924RACR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

We've been fighting with this in the US for some time... we've now been through iterations with the Dash 3 and Dash 4... but are still struggling.

Our latest eval has been with the Dash4Pro LCD vs. Dash3... while moving the display face closer to the outer case face seems to be a slight improvement, the key weakness still seems to be that the black part of the display is still too grey, at the highest settings of brightness/contrast, to have really great visibility in the worst lighting condition (bright sunlight).

By contrast, my AIM dash display has fixed, not reconfigurable, display values; since these are dedicated LCD numbers, they are a more solid black than the dot matrix displays in the Dash3 and Dash4 seem to be capable of reaching. So this type of display still seems to be capable of better readability than the Dash3/4 LCD.

So going forward, for the next generation of Dash, it would seem that you need to put a high priority on sourcing an LCD display capable of even higher contrast than even the latest Dash4 (which we just got our hands on).

In the meantime, however...

The other weakness of the LCD display is the font used. It is a rather narrow font (in any size), which further effectively decreases the contrast of the letters/numbers shown (due to the large amount of relative background that shows between the letters).

Would you consider developing a different font, large size only, that we could download as a firmware update, with better readability at the cost of wider numbers? Approximately 50% wider, I'm thinking, might do the job. This might go a long way towards both keeping us functional and convincing us to try a newer future dash with even better readability.

Please look into this and get back to us... Cheers!

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

PS... I've mocked up a demo using a bitmaps, so that I can load it into the dash - both the real dash (as a startup bitmap), so we can see how it'd truly display on the actual hardware, and so we can quickly compare in the dash editor software. I'd be happy to email this in for eval.

To make it even harder on myself, as well as easier to eval on the actual hardware, I've created it as a Dash3 layout, not the much more generous Dash4 layout. I can definitely make a much wider, "bold" font that will display up to 4 numbers with much better legibility, I think - will test this PM when I can download it and demo at home. Maybe I'll take a video too...

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:15 am

The DASH4PRO uses the best high contrast LCD technology available - there is nothing better available. The DASH3 is a lower cost unit and the contrast isn't quite as good on this, although the new model is significantly better.

However you are correct - there is a trade off between a graphics display and a fixed character display wit regards contrast and flexibility. Whilst the DASH4 LCD is as good as it gets for a graphics based display, the DASH2 with it's fixed display still has a clear edge. That said I use the DASH4 extensively myself and I think it's really excellent - I would want to leave anyone with the impression that it's a "poor relation"!!

With regards the font, there will be a larger font for use on the DASH4 shortly.

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Support wrote:With regards the font, there will be a larger font for use on the DASH4 shortly.

Excellent, good to hear - I hope it'll be a better, more legible style of font too, not just the same stuff at a different size?

924RACR

Update, support for Dash3?

Postby 924RACR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Any update on this, and in particular about a more legible font design for the Dash3???

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 am

We've not forgotten about this... but to be honest we've been largely focused on finalising and testing the new DAsH2PRO recently - now that is complete I'm hoping we'll have more time for other projects.

Return to “New hardware feature requests”