Dash3 config - show bitmap with channel??

924RACR

Dash3 config - show bitmap with channel??

Postby 924RACR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Question to make sure (before I need it, hope to never see it) I have a bitmap configured correctly.

Since the stock text is pretty hard to read, I have created a bitmap to use as an oil pressure warning that says "OIL" in very large, much more legible type - takes up the whole screen.

I have this now configured on all of my screens as an image to display based on a user-defined channel: when revs are above 5000rpm and oil pressure is below 2.5bar, the channel will go high (1); otherwise it's 0.

Checking the channel in analysis, it works properly. Yes, sadly, I have data showing less than 1 bar at 11000rpm. Lots of aluminum chunks, too. :oops:

Based on this channel, if I understand this correctly, I configure the bitmap with min value of 0.9 max value of 2, and it should display the "OIL" message if the bit goes high, right?

I have more, brighter LEDs on the way too... but those tend to only trigger with very low pressures (<20psi or even lower)... this ought to give me some on-track warning of impending damage, before letting all the smoke and smaller aluminum chunks out of my crankcase...

Please let me know if I have the max/min configured correctly...

Cheers...

Support

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Your configuration for the bit map is correct.

Hope it saves you some money and time!

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Slight follow-up on this, for others who might be wishing to do this... I had to try a few different ways to get this to work as intended.

Displaying the bitmap certainly worked great, exactly as described above. However in testing, I found an interesting point... the bitmap, being black and white, seems to show in a transparent format. That is to say, the white parts show as transparent, and will still show any graphics underneath the displayed bitmap.

So I changed my graphic from black text "OIL" on white background, to "white" text on a black field, and it worked better.

Mind that the reason for my doing this is that I have real visibility problems with the Dash3 display in my open cockpit car, such that most of the default fonts are illegible at speed. Mostly I rely on warning lights.

I guess the other option will be to use the "Display Screens" option, will look more closely at that next...

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 pm

OK, have investigated the display screens function... looks like it could be quite useful, especially as I don't actually use all 4 screens much.

Unfortunately, there is still the apparent limitation in the software that only one variable can be used to toggle display screens... for example, I can't show one screen with speed below 10mph, then another if oil pressure is low, and a third if EGT's get too high, etc...

Sure, some of this could be handled by the warning screens, but I can't actually read those... :(

Will put it in for a suggested feature...

Return to “General software support”