Video is too bright

MadMarx

Video is too bright

Postby MadMarx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi,

I normally run the cameras in an open car and the picture is clear and with nice brightness.
But now I have installed the camera to a closed car and the cockpit is looking nice but the view through the windshield is very bright, almost white.

How to correct that?

Chris

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:17 am

Chris,

It's a "white balance" issue and and is common with all bulletcam systems. The only way to minimise this is to move the camera further forward so you have less interior and more exterior in the shot.

You can buy extension bars from camera mount companies (such as dogcam in uk).

Maxx

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Maxx,

thank you for that answer.
Is there a value in the video configuration in which the white level can be rised or lowerd?
Then I could make the video darker.

Chris

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Chris,

Not really I'm afraid, none that will do what you want. There are brightness and contrast settings you can alter 'per camera' in the V4 Configuration program but it's a balance issue.

Bulletcams have very basic white balance, they essentially look at the scene and the more dark there is in the 'picture' the more the white balance (brightness/sensiitivity) gets increased. The only way to lessen it is to reduce the amount of 'dark areas' in the cameras view.

You can get a decent enough 'cabin view' with good white balance, just position the camera so that you get the full width of the screen in. You will get dark top and bottom but enough light to give you a decent picture.

I chop the top and bottom off all my uploaded videos post-process so you can't see the exact view but here is an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p60Mp9PES8I

The car is a Lotus Elise with a 3.6mm main camera mounted on the harness bar behind the front seats. Don't even think I needed an extension bar but I tend to use either a 3" one or a 6" one for cars like MX5/MR2 etc. Saloons are a little more difficult but if you have a cross braces roll-cage you can mount it there with a small extension bar.

Maxx

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Maxx,

The camera is directly behind the front seat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZ-xWHKZfg

There is nothing to move it more to the front and keeping the driver errors in place.
And also the difficulties with the wrong shown revs.

Chris

Maxx

Postby Maxx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Chris,

Awesome sound!! :)

Anyway, see your problem. You can get it further forward if you use an extension bar, see the screengrab below. The yellow is the width of your current view, a 6" bar will probably get you somewhere near the green. You then lose quite a bit of dark and replace it with light. It will look a lot different. Every little thing you can do to minimise the dark will help.

You may still get a fairly bright track as your screen is quite narrow (vertically) but it will be a lot better.

I've never tried it but I suppose having a brightish light lighting up the interior of the car might help if it's still unacceptable after this.

Maxx

PS. I only chopped the top half of the video, you'd still have room for your gauges with the modified view.

MadMarx

Postby MadMarx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Yes, the sound of this works competition engine is quite nice for a V8.

Okay,
I try what you suggested.

Thanks!

Chris

MadMarx

Re: Video is too bright

Postby MadMarx » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Some time back I've bought a filter that covers half of the cams lense and lowers the brightness of the outside world.
It works quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVJtfu2lBI&t=42s

Maxx

Re: Video is too bright

Postby Maxx » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:42 am

Just 'hawking around' the forum and spotted this reply Mark. It does indeed work quite well.

Return to “General software support”