Test Dash4Pro

grabla

Test Dash4Pro

Postby grabla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I've a Dash4Pro on firmware v1.1.1 in my Mygale EcoBoost

Generally, the display itself works fine, the issue I am having is with the shift lights. I can write a layout to the dash, and they work fine, then I might make a small tweak to the display and upload the new layout, and the next race meeting, the shiftlights either don't work at all, or they only work on the left hand side. This is most frustrating.

Is there a way I can send a test data stream to the Dash4Pro, from Windows, to simulate the data stream from the race car, so I can make sure that the config I have created drives the shift lights?

Or, what is the data stream that I need to generate (RPM) to simulate the engine RPM rising to 7200rpm so I can verify that the shift lights work?
Last edited by grabla on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost
Life F88GDIi, Syvecs X10, & Dash4Pro

Support

Re: Test Dash4Pro

Postby Support » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello,

This bug was fixed along time ago.

The latest firmware version is now v6.0.29.

Updating the firmware is now automatically done when reconfiguring the DASH. You will need to install the latest version of Race Technology.

*** You old configuration will not be compatible with the latest configuration version. I recommend you only update if you know how to recreate your configuration.

If you wish to stream data into the DASH then it is possible via live monitor. You will need a run file containing the data you wish to display. If you need a run file please email me kieran @ race - technology . com

Kind regards,
Support (K)

grabla

Postby grabla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 pm

That's good to know, thanks Kieran

I cant run later firmware than v1.1.1 as the Dash4Pro loses contact with the serial data from the Life ECU, so I'm stuck with what I have.
Note: We have tried a newer Dash4Pro on an EcoBoost and it definitely doesn't work

Does Live Monitor work with v1.1.1? If so, yes please, I'd like a sample file.

Alternatively, can I just run Putty/Hyperterm and send an appropriate string of bytes to tell the Dash that the RPM is a particular value? I'm thinking I could easily write a python script to output the serial strings whilst the dash4pro is connected over USB to the laptop for reprogramming.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 am

I've spoken to Life, and they say the best route is to have the F88 ECU reconfigured to send CAN over RS232

Would that then mean I can have the Dash4Pro firmware updated to the latest version, and simply redesign the layout using the CAN data received from the F88 ?

Is there anything else I need to take in to consideration, or is it really as straight forward as that?
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Support

Postby Support » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello,

I don't understand why the DASH4 will not work using the latest firmware. The format of the data has stayed the same.

This makes no sense...
I've spoken to Life, and they say the best route is to have the F88 ECU reconfigured to send CAN over RS232

You can send data over CAN or RS232 it is the electrical interface that is different.

Our serial protocol is documented here>>> http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... DataFormat

The live monitor will work with DASH4 firmware v1.1.1.

Kind regards,
Kieran

grabla

Postby grabla » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:45 am

I going to try updating the firmware on Monday and I'll have a go at building up a new display in the latest dash manager software and I'll let you know how it goes.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

924RACR

Postby 924RACR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Wasn't really following this topic, but wandered in and realized... I've had some of the same problems with shift lights with my Dash4, through last year.

Will have to doublecheck, but I'm 99.9% certain I'm using newer SW and firmware than 2014... since I only got my Dash4 within the last year or so.

My most robust workaround has been to set up my left and right shift lights independently, using the same settings (but not copying the setting from one to the other) but configuring them as Advanced shift lights (not the basic option) . I have still occasionally had them not work.

I also have had horrible problems with the Dash4 config SW screwing up my sensor calibrations... changing the equations so as to make them not work or be a bit off.

Update: Dash4Pro config SW was PC app v6.0.71, firmware v6.0.19... have updated to the latest, looks like the problem with my sensor equations has been resolved. Will see what happens with shift lights next time I reflash...

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 pm

OK, so I bit the bullet and updated the firmware having installed 8.5 on the laptop
The firmware updated
And...

I cant see any of the serial variables I had access to before using the old V7 software
Even if I click Restore default variable information, all I can see on the right hand side of the design window are 10x "User defined variables"

If I add a numeric display, all I can see are the 10 user defined variables.

What do I need to do to bring back all the variables I had when running V7?
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 pm

So on the old software (which crashes soon after I run it up) it shows an explorer view of
Standard Variables
External inputs
GPS Variables
Used defined variables
Serial Variables
Lap timing variables
Misc variables

And I can only see User defined variables in the explorer view on the new 8.5 software....
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:54 pm

New screen
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/pictures ... ersion.JPG
vs

Old screen
http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/pictures ... ersion.PNG

I dont seem to be able to get the software to realise that the connected Dash4pro needs to have the variables to allow me to add the controls to the screen. I've uninstalled the old version of the config software; I've also uninstalled and reinstalled v8.5 but that made no difference either.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Me again

I thought I'd try saving a file using 8.5 and the folder I went to save to in my documents, contained a .CMG file titled "Formula Ford Dash 4", which I think I obtained from you some time ago. It was dated 8/4/2016

I loaded that, and the status bar froze showing "loading variable configuration", and after a few minutes i had to end the task as it had clearly stopped doing anything.

And then when I restarted Dash4Pro low and behold all the variables had appeared :D

Now I can build the new screen layout and try it out on the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed it all works

http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/pictures ... stored.JPG
Last edited by grabla on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 am

Oh, not a good start this morning.

Loaded up DASH4PRO Configuration, and all the variables have gone from the explorer window, and the Configuration menu has half the options missing from it again.

So I'm trying to load the Formula Ford Dash 4.CMG file again, and the message "Invalid configuration file - 5 Invalid procedure call or argument" is shown, and the "Loading" bar is stuck on Status: Loading controls...
Last edited by grabla on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

racetec
Site Admin

Postby racetec » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:46 am

Based on your firmware version this unit is now 8+ years old... and I guess elements of your layout are also that old? Whilst we try to maintain backward compatibility, there has been a LOT of changes in that time with new features, new variables etc and it sounds to me like your layout has something in it that the most recent PC software doesn't like, or at some point the configuration has got corrupted. That general error you report is from our software saying "I don't understand"!!

The best option in this case is to re-install the PC software to reset everything and re-enter your layout from a "clean sheet". Sorry, I realise that's a pain but at this stage anything else is not going to be a guaranteed fix.

Support (A)

grabla

Postby grabla » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:23 am

I think we're all good now.

I've built up the display from scratch, for two screens using the variables I had before, and I'll try it on the car this evening.

The extra large and tiny fonts are very useful; not sure if the min/max screen is still available, but I'll persevere. The documentation says its still there, though I cant see any min/max tab on the v6 Configuration software.
Last edited by grabla on Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:20 pm

It's working, I'm very pleased with the outcome.
IMG_20180627_192431_483.jpg
IMG_20180627_192431_483.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 26441 times
Attachments
IMG_20180627_192431_482.jpg
IMG_20180627_192431_482.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 26441 times
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Return to “General software support”