DASH2 move from DAT to CMG

youngy

DASH2 move from DAT to CMG

Postby youngy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 am

Hi all,

I have been told there is no transform process from DAT files to CMG files. I have not needed to play around much with my DASH since the original install and it has been going great.

But recently I have changed the car a bit and need to change the DASH in order to keep up. So I have the last saved config in DAT.

Is the only way to do it open both old and new configuration tools and manually go through each setting?

I guess I would also need to record what ever I have set on the DASH as well before flashing it.

What is the best why to upgrade to the latest firmware and still have my same inputs, RPM etc?

peterguk

Re: DASH2 move from DAT to CMG

Postby peterguk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 pm

AFAIK, when you upgrade to latest firmware, you start off with a blank sheet and have to rebuild your config from scratch, channel by channel, sensor by sensor.

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:10 pm

That's a massive disincentive to upgrading firmware.

And a real black eye if R-T does not offer a reasonable way to do it.

peterguk

Postby peterguk » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Huh? What's the big deal? I've done 3 so far. Each one less than 40 minutes. New software so much easier to use.

But then i had all the settings in a spreadsheet.

IIRC, took me 5 hours to upgrade my last Windose PC...

Greg Amy

Postby Greg Amy » Wed May 01, 2019 1:08 pm

But then i had all the settings in a spreadsheet.
Right. So for the rest of us that are not OCD and choose instead to use the database file as the database (crazy, I know), this change requires someone to spend a lot of time micro-managing all the settings into your spreadsheet, hoping they got it all, then updating everything manually in the new software and uploading it for flashed unit.

And of course, if you missed one of the setting when you were writing them down, or got one wrong, it don't work. And now you have nothing to fall back on the find out what's different.

However, if R-T were to do something really crazy, like offer a small utility to export the DAT to CSV, or maybe something really REALLY crazy, like offer a utility to convert the DAT to CMG, then it would be rather user-friendly.

Did I miss something? Do they offer that?

In many, many years of using and supporting R-T's systems (I started with a brandy-new DL1 Mk1) the feeback from the user community has always the same: these are incredibly useful and powerful systems, but are designed as if you need to be a computer geek and/or a jet turbine engineer to effectively use it.

Moves like this ^^^ do nothing to dispell that mindset.

BTW, if it took 5 hours to update your PC, yer doin' it wrong.

GA, computer geek and former jet turbine engineer...and who ain't gonna be updating any time soon. Ain't got no time for that.

Return to “General software support”