Help with Circuit Design

blamkin86

Help with Circuit Design

Postby blamkin86 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm

OK, this may not be the perfect place for this question, but it seems like a good starting point.

I would like to hit one switch, and have both my DL1 and GoPro start recording.

Originally, here's what I had in mind:

1) Press start on DL1 button
2) Some undesigned circuit would convert the DL1's "Log Status" signal into a 2-second ground, which I could then pass along to the GoPro to start recording
3) Some other undesigned circuit, which would notice that the DL1 "Log Status" had returned to open, and send a different 2-second ground, telling the GoPro to stop recording.

I'd use this thing: http://cam-do.com/wired.html

to actually wire those different two ground "instructions" to the GoPro.

Now, I'm thinking instead what I'll do is, using that wired remote for the GoPro, simply signal BOTH the GoPro and the DL1's "Start Logging" connection, with the same remote button.

Anyone have any thoughts about which way would be better? I think the first way is likely better -as the GoPro is sync'd to the DL1 - but honestly the second way seems a lot easier to implement.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Support

Postby Support » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 am

Hi there!

Well, it seems "great minds think alike" :o)

Just yesterday I ordered one of these cables and as soon as it arrives we are going to wire it up and do some experiments with it connected to a DL1.

If you can bear with me for a few days, then I'll write up exactly what we did, how it worked etc. If you get impatient for an update please just "bump" this thread!

Kind regards,

Support

Jimster

Postby Jimster » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:37 pm

I like the sound of this project guys, I'll be watching this one

blamkin86

Postby blamkin86 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Any progress?

Support

Postby Support » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 am

yes - it's working in the office and we are looking to package it together into a system - however that lots of testing etc, so it's going to be months not weeks.

WBR,

Support

Jimster

Postby Jimster » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 am

Could you share the circuit diagram so we could also test and our own risk?

Cheers

Jim

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 am

Sure - will do, the hardware is very simple, it's the software support that is keeping us busy :o)

edison_GTI

Postby edison_GTI » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Any updates?

disquek

Postby disquek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Bump.

-Kyle

disquek

Postby disquek » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Any word on this?

Your only go-pro offering is several generations behind the current go pro.

Moving to a Cam-Do based system would abstract RT from having to deal with the go pro.

Please get this done before summer. Please .....

-Kyle

Support

Postby Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Kyle,
Please drop me an email to discuss further, but from what I can see the Cam-do is something which plugs in to the back of the GoPro as an interface and will enable us to start/stop the unit with a control input. For quite a few GoPro units we can do that already, we can also synchronise manually and based on time stamps. Our system is not a GoPro specific one and the manual synchronisation will work with pretty much any external camera system. The inconsistency between different versions of the GoPro cameras does make it difficult to interface to all of them though.

Martin

Support

Postby Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

I can add a bit more onto that....

Our start/stop trigger cable works in the same way as the cam-do adapter, unfortunately neither work will all cameras... as for why, you would need to talk to GoPro about this! We cannot complain to them as it is not a supported feature.

If the cable doesn't work then the best option is to sync on the date/time, I think this is how most our users work.

We have good contact with GoPro and if they do release any additional information about how to better integrate with their cameras (control them remotely) will be at the front of the queue.

With regards the PC software, we have tested at ALL gopro video modes, from 720p->4k, and you can import them all. At the moment you can only generate exports up to 1080p, but we've got a update that allows you to export up to 4k which we are testing at the moment... although handling files of this resolution is quite slow.

Now you know as much as me!

Support - Andy

Return to “General support questions”