Connecting D2P to Rover Mems ECU

Gadget555

Connecting D2P to Rover Mems ECU

Postby Gadget555 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:22 am

Hi Newbie here, I have purchased a Dash2 Pro (D2P) from a well know auction site. It says on the label on the back that it is a 2015 model and only has 297 miles on it, I have been in touch with RT who have helped. The thing is I didn't realise you needed a degree in astro physic's to programe one of these dash's. My car is a bit of a Frankenstein, it is a 1969 classic mini that is fitted with the engine out of a 2003 MG TF 160. I have rewired the car myself and it has been on the road 2 1/2 years with no problems. With advice from RT I purchased an "Universal OBD loom" to enable me to connec the D2P to the OBD plug that I have fitted to my car, it only has 3 wires connected to the OBD plug; live, earth & a signal wire that is connected to the ECU. This OBD plug works fine as I can plug a scan tool in and read any faults (only lambda 2 as the car doesn't need a cat) it will also tell me what every sensor is donig and reading. The problem is when I have connected "The Universal OBD loom" between my OBD plg and the D2P and I can't get anything to show on the dash? I appreciate the times were are in and that some businesses are short staffed, but on RT recomendation I bought a "universal OBD Loom" hoping that this would be an easy plug & play connection but I seen to of wasted £200 for what is 1m of wire with 3 connectors on the ends..... I also appreciate that I didn't buy the D2P from them brand new but some of the replies that I have recived back through live chat just referance a section in the knowledge base and expect you to decipher what is in that section.
So has anyone sucsesfully connected a D2P to a Rover Mems 3 ECU using a "Universal OBD loom" these engine's were a popular fitment to Lotus Elise S1 and some S2's, any help in getting one to talk to the other will be greatfully received, unfortunatly I'm at work for another week and don't have access to my car to go and check things out.

Thanks in advance Gadget.

racetec
Site Admin

Re: Connecting D2P to Rover Mems ECU

Postby racetec » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi Gadget

Our technical support team will be able to assist you if you can provide some more information.

Please can you let me know your name and the name of the Race Technology representative you have been speaking with previously.
Alternatively, please email support@race-technology.com.

Gadget555

Postby Gadget555 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply, the person that I have been dealing with is Dan.

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:38 am

Hello Keith - Dan here, it seems you didn't receive my last email I'll post it below so you can read it:

Apologies for the delay, I had to stay off work after a COVID-19 test. I can see a couple of problems:

1) The Terminator lead should not be connected to Serial Port 2 i.e. RS232 (2). This should be connected to the Serial Data Out connector.
2) It is strange the OBD port is not fully wired into the vehicle. Do you know why this is?

Note – Hopefully connecting +12V & GND to Serial Port 2 has not done any damage.

In response to the below post:

* I have sent you a DASH2 PRO configuration file that should be compatible, there is no need for you to configure the dash. All you need to do is send the configuration I've generated to your unit, have you done this yet?

* The Universal OBD System is not just a length of wire, there are electronic components within the match box type case. These convert the OBDII data into Race Technology formatted data, which our dash can read and display on-screen.

If you require assistance I am back in the factory now, feel free to drop me an email.

Gadget555

Postby Gadget555 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi Dan, yes I did receive your email but unfortunatly I run out of time to work on my car and had to go back to work. I did reply to your email that you sent.

"I have sent you a DASH2 PRO configuration file that should be compatible, there is no need for you to configure the dash. All you need to do is send the configuration I've generated to your unit, have you done this yet?"

Yes I uploaded the file to the dash and it change some of the configeration settings that I had changed but still did't show any readings from my engine.

1) The Terminator lead should not be connected to Serial Port 2 i.e. RS232 (2). This should be connected to the Serial Data Out connector.

Ok. I'll have to check the connections when I get home next week. Does the terminator lead get connected to a perminant live or is it ignition live? And should it have a 500mv fuse like the main one to the dash or can it have a higher amperage one fitted?

2) It is strange the OBD port is not fully wired into the vehicle. Do you know why this is?

OBD plug isn't fully wired into my car as the engine & loom are out of a donor car and are fitted into my classic 1969 mini. The OBD plug only has 5 wires connected to it +12v, 0v earth, 1 wire that connects to the ecu & 2 others that connect to the alarm module that isn't fitted.

Hopefully we can find a solution to my problems and get the dash to read the signals from the ECU. When I get home next week I'll recheck the connections and let you know if there is any change.

regards

keith.

CharlesElliott

Postby CharlesElliott » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:19 pm

This doesn't help with your core request, but the OBD output from MEMS is a serial data stream at a very very slow rate. It is OK for reading error codes and maybe something like temperatures which change slowly but it's useless for anything that needs updating more than once per second. Sorry....

Gadget555

Postby Gadget555 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am

At last were slowly getting somewhere! My mate came round last night and we were changing inputs and uploading them to the dash to see if we could get any more readings on the dash and success we have now managed to get it to show battery voltage and now have rpm reading. The readings sort of came about after uploding a new config to the dash (battery voltage) nothing changed, so we tried turning the dash off & back on again and then the new readings appeared on the dash, We went through some of the settings in the variable source section and changed them about, upload them with the engine running no change, turned the ignition off then back on, started the engine again and the rpm was now showing on the dash. Now I just need to calibrate the water temp sensor and change the oil filter housing for one I have with an oil pressure & oil tempreature sensors in it.

Return to “General software support”