Irregular rpm updates + data formatting errors

ThomasLE71

Irregular rpm updates + data formatting errors

Postby ThomasLE71 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a DL1/DASH3 bundle + OBD CAN interface using it in a Lotus Elise S (2009).

Since I have the OBD CAN interface connected I get data formatting errors in the Run Manager (e.g. 157 in a test run of appr. 10 minutes). No errors without the OBD CAN interface so far.

I also noticed the rpm values seem to be updated on a irregular basis. Not as often and regular as I expected. Here's a screenshot of the test run graph:

I'm not yet sure about the other OBD values at the moment.

Do I have to configure anything differently or is there any other problem?

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

ThomasLE71

Postby ThomasLE71 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm still testing: A new run of about the same length has "only" 14 data formatting errors. But this time there is no serial number of the logger displayed. Instead I get this in the Run Manager. "No logger serial number is available in the data stream."

It seems that all OBD values are updated only every now and then. Sometime multiple updates in one second but most of the times just one update every few seconds. So it's not only rpm but also throttle position and others.

I checked the connections and setting but still cannot find anything wrong.

Any idea is appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Thomas

Support

Postby Support » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

The OBD interface requests data as quickly as possible from the car. The update speed depends on how quickly the car replies. There is nothing we can do about that.
We do try to structure it so that parameters like RPM and throttle position are updated much more often than coolant temperature for example.
It is possible to get some errors in the run if you are using the loop mode to start and stop the data recording, generally a few errors in the file are nothing to worry about, it can be a result of the way the file is started or finished within the logger and does vary depending on the data rate which is being stored to the card.

ThomasLE71

Postby ThomasLE71 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the answer although this is no good news (I just saw in your knowledge base that you mention it and I must admit that I have read over this paragraph).

Is it possible to speed up the updates by not requesting other data? I haven't used the CAN configuration yet. So would it be possible to set all channels to OFF except RPM, throttle position and coolant temperature for example? In case the car could provide the data faster this should speed up the frequency for RPM updates etc., right?

To the data errors: I don't use auto-start and auto-stop. I just start and stop logging by pressing the DL1 button. And until now I got the data errors only with the OBD CAN interface connected.

Thanks,
Thomas

Support

Postby Support » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:20 pm

It is possible to arrange priority and turn channels on/off in the CAN configuration software.

Return to “General support questions”