Gear calculation - adjusting for blips

jasonc

Gear calculation - adjusting for blips

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:33 am

I am trying to get the gear calculation working and other than needing to work out the final drive ratio, my other problem is that it looks like a throttle blip with the clutch depressed can fool the calculation into thinking that a gear change occurred. Not a problem per se as you are downchanging anyway but if you have closely spaced gears and do a big blip it seem it can get confused.

Any ideas on how best to set up the gear calculation to make it as accurate and noise free as possible? I am thinking ahead to when the (long-awaited) Dash 2 arrives.

Turby

Postby Turby » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:14 pm

No idea, but you could try reducing the rate of change filter for rpm such that off-load throttle blips are ignored ?

Gear detection using just rpm and speed is not exactly straight forward... there must be some algorithm out on teh wwww you might be able to use.

disquek

Postby disquek » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 pm

I understand what you're trying to acomplish, but not why.

Do you think that while you're clutching, blipping the throttle, down changing, braking, and trying to keep track of the other cars, you're going to be looking at your dash to see what gear you're in?

-Kyle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:11 pm

Of course not. But I am trying to get the most accurate log trace for gear position that I can. For the dash, I just need a relatively accurate calculation. Currently I have a lot of noise and I can't quite work out why.

idol

Postby idol » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Not sure what you are trying to calculate, I use rpm/wheel speed. This gives a trace that steps through a different level for all gears. Yes there can be a bit of noise that you could filter/smooth but from looking at the trace you can see what gear you are in. The exact gear ratios you don't really need for this, you will see the 4,5 or 6 different levels in the trace.

Return to “General software support”