Video 4 Settings for Layout Files

Soul Reaver

Video 4 Settings for Layout Files

Postby Soul Reaver » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Guys

I have some general questions for setting up video 4 layout files and a couple of other more general questions please. I am using

Dash2
DL1
Video 4 / 3 cameras

All linked together

1. For gear ratios I am driving a Clio 182 and the specs are as follows for kph/1000 rpm

5 gears

So what do I put in lower and upper values please for gear display when creating a layout file?

2. For video configuration do I always set it to "Set all serial outputs to typical settings"?

3. For auto recording is the trigger time in mins? and if I use speed is that in MPH of KMH?

4. For track map if I want a map file to be displayed as the backing to the track map I use the generate map file software yes? Do I save this file in 8.3 format in lower case like this?

brandsh1.map

and then have this file on the CF card I use in Video 4 unit?

5. For .lap files do I save these files in 8.3 format all in upper case like this

BRANDSH1.LAP

and then save this file on the CF card I use in Video 4 unit

6. Lap files need a lap marker and then sectors for timing to work yes? Why would you use start of run over lap marker? For what purpose?

7. For updating Video 4 firmware I load the firmware and license onto the FAT 32 card and load it and then switch on video 4 unit? Or?

8. Can I load new data config to Dash2 via DL1 with a FAT 16 card and the file loaded to it? Do I have card in DL1 and then turn on?

9. Can I load new firmware for Dash 2 via DL1 on a FAT16 card and the correct firmware file? Do I load the CF card and then turn on DL1? Or?

Many thanks for the answers to these questions

Best regards
Mark

Soul Reaver

Hmmm

Postby Soul Reaver » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 pm

I guess no one knows the answer to these questions then. I would refer to the documentation but that's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Support

Postby Support » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:13 pm

sorry - it's been a busy week, lots of orders to prepare and some staff off :o(

I've asked someone to respond ASAP!

Soul Reaver

Postby Soul Reaver » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 am

Excellent many thanks.

PS
Why was the documentation written by the developer by the way? Always a fatal mistake that one.

Support

Support

Postby Support » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:54 am

Hello,

For the gear use...

Low High
4.0 8.6 11.4
11.4 14.2 17.1
17.1 20.1 21.9
21.9 23.8 28.6
28.6 33.4 40.0

The typical output setting on the serial port cover most set ups. If you want to log the data to a second datalogger or computer then i recommend setting the output of the serial channels to 100Hz. If you are just displaying them then is all cases except RPM for shift lights 5Hz is fast enough. However I do recommend switching off any channels you are not displaying with the DASH2 as we have seen a few problems with lap timing when lots of data is being transmitted to the DASH2. This is normally always when lots of data is coming for ECU's, but it always better to switch off undisplayed channels.

Trigger time is in seconds and the units are what is configured in the video4 configuration tool.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... pRecording
This link explains the auto/stop recording for more information.

4. The video4 can handle any file name with standard characters for map files just needs to be called .MAP.

5. The .LAP file needs to be in 8.3 format.

6. Start of run markers are used when the circuit is not laps but stages. This is not used in real time just for analysis.

7. Yes.

8. You need to use the video4 memory card for configuring the DASH2. If you use the DL1 you need to plug the DASH2 directly into the DL1.

9. To update fimrware you need to plug the DASH2 direct into one unit video4 or DL1. FAT16 for DL1 FAT32 for video4. You can put the memory card in the systems when power is on or off. The only thing you cant do with the memory card is remove it when it is recording.

Kind regards,
Kieran
Race Technology

Soul Reaver

Re: Support

Postby Soul Reaver » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Support wrote:Hello,

For the gear use...

Low High
4.0 8.6 11.4
11.4 14.2 17.1
17.1 20.1 21.9
21.9 23.8 28.6
28.6 33.4 40.0

The typical output setting on the serial port cover most set ups. If you want to log the data to a second datalogger or computer then i recommend setting the output of the serial channels to 100Hz. If you are just displaying them then is all cases except RPM for shift lights 5Hz is fast enough. However I do recommend switching off any channels you are not displaying with the DASH2 as we have seen a few problems with lap timing when lots of data is being transmitted to the DASH2. This is normally always when lots of data is coming for ECU's, but it always better to switch off undisplayed channels.

Trigger time is in seconds and the units are what is configured in the video4 configuration tool.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... pRecording
This link explains the auto/stop recording for more information.

4. The video4 can handle any file name with standard characters for map files just needs to be called .MAP.

5. The .LAP file needs to be in 8.3 format.

6. Start of run markers are used when the circuit is not laps but stages. This is not used in real time just for analysis.

7. Yes.

8. You need to use the video4 memory card for configuring the DASH2. If you use the DL1 you need to plug the DASH2 directly into the DL1.

9. To update fimrware you need to plug the DASH2 direct into one unit video4 or DL1. FAT16 for DL1 FAT32 for video4. You can put the memory card in the systems when power is on or off. The only thing you cant do with the memory card is remove it when it is recording.

Kind regards,
Kieran
Race Technology

HI Kieran

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have a couple more based on your answers :)

1. For your Low High figures whats the middle one for as there are only two boxes?

2. On my dash I am displaying the following

Water Temp
Oil temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel level
Time into lap

So anything else I can disable then yes? Do I do that in DL1 of Video 4 layout file?

3. Ok the .map and .LAP files are still confusing me. It does say in the docs to save the .LAP as all upper case like this

BRANDSH1.LAP

is that correct?

For map file I guess lower case is fine then using the map file generator software?

4. I guess I use the same gear settings in my dash config and also on my layout file?

All the best Mark.

Soul Reaver

Firmware

Postby Soul Reaver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 am

My Firmware is as follows

Video4 = 3.6.7
Dash 2 = 9.2.7

How do I find the DL1 firmware please?

Mark

Support

Postby Support » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:46 pm

get a logged file, load it into analysis and check i the run manager...

Soul Reaver

Postby Soul Reaver » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:58 pm

And the answers to these?

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I have a couple more based on your answers Smile

1. For your Low High figures whats the middle one for as there are only two boxes?

2. On my dash I am displaying the following

Water Temp
Oil temp
Oil Pressure
Fuel level
Time into lap

So anything else I can disable then yes? Do I do that in DL1 of Video 4 layout file?

3. Ok the .map and .LAP files are still confusing me. It does say in the docs to save the .LAP as all upper case like this

BRANDSH1.LAP

is that correct?

For map file I guess lower case is fine then using the map file generator software?

4. I guess I use the same gear settings in my dash config and also on my layout file?

Support

Postby Support » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:56 am

1. there is no use for the middle value, I think the technician was just trying to show how they are worked out, i.e. centered on the "true" value.
2. you can disable in either location, or both. It probably makes most sense to disable at source, i.e. the DL1
3. in theory UPPER CASE, but in practice doesn't matter
4. yup

support

Return to “General software support”