Reflashed DL1 to fix problems; now have worse problems!

JonOrangeElise

Reflashed DL1 to fix problems; now have worse problems!

Postby JonOrangeElise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi Al (or to whom it may concern): Sending this via the support forum in case you check it during the weekends. I have a DL1, serial #1247, serial port on front, two connectors on back. I had been having trouble with spotty data. Some track sessions would report data as normal. Other track sessions of the same day would have no data whatsoever, or "incomplete" data (for example, entire sectors would have blank cells where sector times should have been, and the track map for the lap would be "angular," not curved, suggesting the DL1 wasn't picking up data).

Anyhow, in an attempt to fix the problem for yesterday's track day at Thunderhil, I started using a new power lead and GPS antenae. I also reflashed the unit with DL1 MKI customer reflash V9 071002. I also created a config file for autostart, setting it to SPEED > 500.

I did not check to see if the reflash or autostart worked before (or even during) the track day. I just hooked up the box, and proceeded normally as before. Woke up this morning, and finally checked lap times. See attached screenshot for a snapshot of the data I collected. No track map of Thunderhill. The times for each session reflected the times I was out on track, but no track map has been created, and it seems I was reaching 9999 kilometers per hour!. Also, the "snail shell" pattern created by the track maps of my various run sessions is really trippy. I was leaving the exact same spot in the paddock each session, and taking approximately the same route to the hot pit entrance. These lines simply don't reflect any path I was taking (or at least I am pretty damn sure).

Is my hardware completely screwed up? Did I reflash with the wrong file, or do something wrong? FWIW, the PC interface reported the reflash was successful.

[/img]

JonOrangeElise

Postby JonOrangeElise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Let me try again with that image...

RTUSA
Site Admin

Postby RTUSA » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Jon:

Hard to say without the data, but it looks as if you have little or no GPS data.

The filename listed is correct for your DL1.

Are the lights behaving normally, including GPS showing a lock?

Most common problem is bad GPS antenna (usually cable) or connection, but it is also possible for the GPS unit inside the DL1 to need to be reset. This has to be done by us. Or it could be a hardware fault.

Tiny chance of a bad reflash, you could try doing that again, but I don't think that is it.

When you check the firmware version under Data > Run Manager in Analysis, what does that report?
Al Seim
Race Technology USA

JonOrangeElise

Postby JonOrangeElise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Al... This is what it says for firmware version: ". Firmware version 9-5. Data logged on 06/01/1980 @ 00:00. Logging started by button press. Logging stopped by button press.Logger serial number: 1247. Run Contains 1026284 individual data samples, and 0 data formatting errors." ...

Hey, is it possible I screwed up something with my config file? Two things to mention about this: 1) I didn't have a chance to remove the config file from the CF card. The config file was on the card throughout the day. 2) Even when the car was moving past 30MPH, the green logging light didn't activate. Now, I didn't know if this was normal or not. I wasn't sure if the config file setting had the power, if you will, to not only begin logging, but also trip the green logging light. So to play it safe, I turned the big red Start/Stop button on at the beginning of a session, and off when I went back to paddock. Could this explain my bad data?

Now, as for GPS lock light: You know, I didn't check. But I'm going to take a few rides around the block right now and see if I get a track map of my neighborhood. I'll report back in 60-90 minutes.

JonOrangeElise

Postby JonOrangeElise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:14 pm

OK, just checked everything: I am not getting any GPS at all. At least that's what the light is indicating. The red GPS lock light stays in a permanent off position -- no blinking lights at all. (And I have to confess that I had forgotten which lights mean what. I was under the mistaken impression that the green blinking light indicated the number of satellites working, and that GPS was operating. I now know that it indicates the ECU is operating.) Al, if you are checking email, please see the latest from me. If not, let me know if the forum is the best way to communicate. :)

Thanks!

Return to “General support questions”