Auto start / stop

grabla

Auto start / stop

Postby grabla » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm

I tried auto start stop for the first time this weekend at the 3 Sisters sprint and it failed miserably.

First run when I turned the DL1-Mk2 on it went crazy with all the LEDs flashing, and Windows 7 reported the card as 'unformatted' when I tried it after the run

Second run, I tried another CF card, and again crazy flashing LED's and a run captured of a couple of seconds, but at least the card wasn't corrupted this time.

I reverted to turning auto start stop off and pushing the red button. I captured my first timed run.

Then on my 2nd timed run I pushed the button to record, little green light was on (as can be seen in the onboard footage), but no data captured.

Have you any reported issues with auto start stop causing errors on cards?

My parameters were:

The DL1-Mk2 has the latest firmware.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost
Life F88GDIi, Syvecs X10, & Dash4Pro

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 am

I would suggest:

- update the DL1 to the latest firmware
- there is no problem with autostart but some combinations of card and pretrigger can cause problems, so set up with autostart by all means, but disable the pretrigger.
- make sure that you using a CF card <2GB

If you are still having stability issues, I would suspect electrical noise, but lets eliminate the above points first.

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 am

Its running v43 firmware already.

The cards are a 64MB and a 128MB, both formatted using SwisKnife for FAT. They worked at Blyton two weekends ago.

If I disable pre-trigger, I wont get the full run. I need it to start from >0mph in that case and I travel >0mph when moving in the start line queue at sprints/hillclimbs
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:46 am

Just to be absolutely certain... you do mean 64MB, not 64GB?

What inputs have you got going to the DL1, is RPM connected and if so to where... this is the most common cause of electrical noise.

Could you also tell me the serial number of the unit so I can check it's history in case that gives us any clues.

WBR Support (A)

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:52 am

64MB for definite, I only need to record 'minutes' worth of data.

The DL1 only has power, earth (which goes back to the battery), and the GPS antenna connected, the power lead has an RF choke across it to supress interference.

Serial number, I think its 2952

I bought it in April 2008, having upgraded from the DL90.

The plastic box it was supplied in said it was manufactured at 2.44pm, April 16th 2008 if thats any help :D
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 am

ah - okay.

That's all useful information, the serial number isn't needed I would just trying to get an idea of the age and so the hardware version of the DL1 - early 2008 is fine.

Given it is such a simple installation and we've already checked the unit over, it is almost certainly electrical noise which is causing the problem. The problem is that without having access to the car is a nightmare to try to diagnose these types of issue. Questions for you:

- what type of car is it, do you run a "normal" alternator and battery
- are you running "normal" ignition leads (not solid copper etc)
- how are you powering the unit, have you checked the power and ground are okay
- has the unit been mostly okay in previous seasons, or failing at every attempt?
- do you ever have cause to pass J26 M1 with the car so we could take a look?

WBR, Support (A)

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 am

Support wrote:- what type of car is it, do you run a "normal" alternator and battery

Mk1 Fiesta 2.0 Duratec, Brise 49A alternator, Varley red top 15 battery.

Support wrote:- are you running "normal" ignition leads (not solid copper etc)

Ford Coil-on-plug so no HT leads whatsoever.

Support wrote:- how are you powering the unit, have you checked the power and ground are okay

Directly from a fused Aux circuit, which also feeds the dashboard (using stack instrumentation). No issues whatsover with wavering needles, or any other problems with the instrumentation.

Support wrote:- has the unit been mostly okay in previous seasons, or failing at every attempt?

Some days it works, some days it doesn't. I can never tell if its me not pushing the buttons, or something else at play.

Support wrote:- do you ever have cause to pass J26 M1 with the car so we could take a look?

I would be delighted to bring it on a trailer for you to diagnose the fault. At the same time you could get the CAN adaptor to talk to the DTA S80 ECU as I've never had that working either. How does that sound?
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

A visit sounds like the best idea for sure... we can go over everything and get you up and running.

Please call the office on 01773 537620 and ask for Kieran to make an appointment at a mutually agreeable time.

He's out the office today... but back in tomorrow, and for the next few weeks.

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Could I also ask that you email the successful run from last weekend, so I can check a few basic things.

please email them to: andrew@race-tech.....com

Thanks,

Support

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Support

Postby Support » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Has that run been trimmed/shortened? Some of the diagnostic information I wanted is missing :o(

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 pm

If its 3340KB then thats exactly how it came off the CF card.

I'll email you a copy as you first requested, just in case FTP or the download has done something to the uploaded data.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

grabla

Postby grabla » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Emailed.
Mygale FF200 EcoBoost

Return to “General support questions”