Questions regarding the CAN Adapter

DetroitAristo

Questions regarding the CAN Adapter

Postby DetroitAristo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:22 am

Hello! Finally got confirmed!

I have a couple of questions that I will break out into separate topics.

This is in regards to the CAN Adapter.

I have a Dash2 and the CAN adapter to install into my ProEFI-equipped 1991 Toyota Aristo. I can get data to the dash from a microprocessor so I know the dash is functioning properly. I can flash the dash and upload screens.

My issue is with the CAN adapter. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to accept a configuration. I am connecting the terminator to 12V and - when prompted. I am using a TrendNet TU-S9 USB to DB9 adapter. It works for the Dash2.

I am trying to configure the CAN adapter to accept the datastream from the ProEFI. I have a simulator set up that broadcasts the expected data on the 1MPS CANBUS.

Is there a trick to getting this CAN adapter to connect and accept a configuration?

Support (D)

Re: Questions regarding the CAN Adapter

Postby Support (D) » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 am

Hello there,

If you follow the link below, this will take you to the Race Technology knowledge base, located on our website. If has information describing the correct connections required to reconfigure the CAN adaptor.

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/upl ... eflash.gif

Please ensure the correct connections are present firstly.

Best regards,
Support(D)

DetroitAristo

Postby DetroitAristo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:39 am

Does the DB9 on the can side have a 120ohm resistor? Mine does not.

Other that the question regarding the resistor, that is exactly how my connections are made.

Thank you by the way, for the very fast response. I greatly appreciate it!

DetroitAristo

Postby DetroitAristo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Do the Rx and Tx lines need to be crossed? Should I be using a null modem cable rather than a straight through RS232 cable?

DetroitAristo

Postby DetroitAristo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 pm

So, this isn't working. I have tested and it has power (+12V), and the serial data looks good. The programming utility just does not communicate. I've tried null modem, straight serial, everything that I can think of.

What's the trick here? The entire reason that I bought this dash was that I could set up the CAN adapter to listen to the bus and show me what I need. If I feed the dash from a serial connection (which the documentation is severely frustrating for), I can at least get things to show up.

Being able to configure this CAN ECU adapter is key in the integration of this dashboard. Without the CAN adapter, this dashboard is a paperweight.

DetroitAristo

Postby DetroitAristo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm

It would be great if someone would give me an address to ship this to and an amount it would cost to either repair it, or diagnose it.

Not having this CAN adapter is killing my project.

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 pm

To answer some of your questions...

CanH goes to CanH, CanL to CanL
Yes, you must put a resistor on the DL1 side of your cable. The CAN adapter is not terminated. Also make sure that the ProEFI is terminated (or that end of the cable if it is not)

DetroitAristo

Postby DetroitAristo » Tue May 02, 2017 5:18 pm

The BUS is more than just two nodes. It is within the CAN specification.

This is really about getting the proper configuration loaded into the adapter. I have tested all the lines, and I have 12V where 12V is necessary. There are no cross-linked traces. Every decade of my experience tells me that this is properly hardwired. It's just not connecting to receive the configuration for the CAN stream.

Return to “General support questions”