DL1 and DASH1 mounting in a Porsche 911- with pics!

TheOtherEric

DL1 and DASH1 mounting in a Porsche 911- with pics!

Postby TheOtherEric » Fri May 19, 2006 5:51 pm

After a lot of thought and time, I finally got my Dash1 display mounted in my car, so I thought I'd post some pics for others to get some use out of. The car is a 1995 993, with the DL1 mounted under the passenger seat near the back.

The install is pretty clean looking, but getting it in there was pretty ugly. the two brackets are simply copper strips from Home Depot from the plumbing department (I think they're used to brace water lines). I just bent them with pliers so that they'd just hook around the bottom of the dashboard. I didn't need to screw anything to the dashboard since the defrost vent cover sits on top and keeps everything in place.

To do this, you have to remove the dashboard top, by first taking off the plastic end plugs then removing a phillips-head screw from each end. Then you have to remove the clock (difficult) or the center vent (more difficult) to get to the nut holding the dash cover down in the middle. Since you have the dash off, this is a great time to stick your GPS on your front hood and run the wiring into the car like I did (see pic).

Here's a pic from the driver's perspective. It's very visible, and I made the right bracket a little longer so that the DASH1 is aimed at the driver a bit.
A view through the windshield:
GPS unit mounted next to the wipers. If I want to take it down, I can just pull it into the trunk and it disappears!

Return to “Installation questions”