Dash2 Pro Motorcycle Installation

Deejay

Dash2 Pro Motorcycle Installation

Postby Deejay » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 am

Hi, I am installing a Dash2 Pro on a Yamaha RD350 and have just finished wiring the unit and now have a few anomalies that I hope someone can help me with. This is the first race dash I have fitted so please forgive any stupid questions.

Firstly as I am using the motorcycle overlay for the dash and what was the battery light is no an oil warning light. As there is no longer a battery warning light I figured I would not need to connect the Slate grey/ black wire from connector B to anything. I am now wondering where the unit gets the pick for the battery voltage display? If it is the slate grey / black that I have not connected that is needed for this function could anyone tell me what I should connect it to on a motorcycle? The drawing shows it being connected to the alternator field exciter but I can find no reference for this on any motorcycle electrical diagram anywhere!

Secondly, the wheel speed sensor has the light permanently on when the unit is powered up. I have checked my wiring and it is as per the diagram. I am using the one with two lock nuts to secure it. This may be my first daft question but the end of the sensor has a blue cover on it. I am supposed to have peeled that off or is it meant to be left on?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks Dave

BiKenG

Postby BiKenG » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm

No response from support which is a shame.

I've installed a D2P onto a bike and found there is a distinct lack of information about how the bike version should be wired. I don't think there was even any documentation on how it differed from the car unit and therefore which wires correspond to which input/lights.

As you say, the Grey/Black is normally for the alternator warning but it is instead used for the oil pressure. This just requires that it be grounded out when pressure is low (as normal Oil Press. switches do) and the light comes on. Of course if the bike has an Oil pressure sensor instead, you need some other way to simply switch the warning light.

The low fuel light is even more tricky. This is otherwise the fog warning light and when 12v is applied the light comes on. But a bike's low fuel warning sensor doesn't work like that. At least, not on Hondas and I suspect it's the same on other bikes. I don't think RT have really thought this through.
You can't have too many bikes

Return to “Installation questions”