Water Temp sensor failure

tristancliffe

Water Temp sensor failure

Postby tristancliffe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi

Mk1 DL1

Am logging three things on the 5V inputs - Oil Pressure, Water temperature and brake switch.

All have worked perfectly thus far, although the water temp wire failed where the resistor was soldered into the wire - had to buy a replacement... But that was 6 month ago or more.

At the test day last week it was happily logging water temp correctly, but as the (wet) day progressed the data became sillier and sillier. As of this evening it's convinced it's -171°, and at the track it thought it was -250°.

Sounds to me like the resistance of the sensor has increased. Bought a new one (but not from you, as the Bosch sensors are much cheaper from a motor-factor), and it hasn't helped - reads the same thing.

At room temperature (about 15°C tonight) the sensor read about 2.5kOhms. The logger was seeing about 4V (checked using multimeter and Analysis)

I tried swapping the input wire with the oil pressure wire (so that water temp was logged on input1) to see if the DL1 was at fault on one input. Didn't help.

I repaired the old wire using a fresh 1kOhm resistor (I measured it's resistance first), and that didn't help either...

I think I've tried everything I can - new sensor, difference leads and different input on the DL1. But it still won't read anywhere near correct.

Any ideas what is wrong and how to correct it?
Monoposto 2000 - Reynard 883 Toyota

Return to “Sensor-related questions”