Dash2, DL1, Video4 and ECU/CAN/OBD data

ehrnst

Dash2, DL1, Video4 and ECU/CAN/OBD data

Postby ehrnst » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi,

I recently bought a car equipped with RT hardware. Dash2, video4 and a DL1. Right up before we bought the car the previous owner swapped the engine and fitted an after market ECU (farstrup from Denmark) and they never got around to hook everything up. The person who first built the car is no longer available for history...

I can assume all RT boxes was hooked up to an OBD interface as we got RT seriel adapters, and thats what i have tried to do as well.
The new ECU can simulate varius OBD standards, and is currently setup to send BMW E46 type. I tried to start all over and updated the FW on all boxes (confirmed on dash2), but i cannot get any engine data to display on the dash2. Data from DL1, like LAT/LON displays correctly, but Water temp etc reads "0"

Hopefully you can help out.
Pictures for reference

Best
Martin Ehrnst

racetec
Site Admin

Re: Dash2, DL1, Video4 and ECU/CAN/OBD data

Postby racetec » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello,

Firstly I would start with isolating the interface establish if you this part is working.
Connect to your PC like this... http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... ataViewing

The picture you show of the serial OBD interface is just the interface that decodes the data from the OBD adaptor. Do you have the OBD adaptor as well?

Once connected open the race technology live monitor and connect. If you see data then it working. Once you have the data it is just a case of configuring the other equipment and using the live monitor checking the data is coming out upto the DASH.

Serial OBD is very limited on the data available. I suspect you will only get a few channels. It would be worth double checking with the ECU manufacture that they are really emulating the k-line OBD data. If the ECU manufacture offers a CAN bus output and will supply the protocol I recommend you buy a CAN interface as you will get more channels and at a faster update rate.

Kind regards,
Race Technology (K)

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will take a look and see if i can find that terminator. I have do have an obd adapter, only one LED on mine, but I assume all been used together when it was an original BMW e36 328.

Dont know if its kline but I have checked in the sw and i can choose to emulate VW, BMW and a few others

Martin

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am

Got a rather short response from the ECU manufacturer "yes it does K-Line as well, but use CANbus instead..." snapped a few screenshots.

Support

Postby Support » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am

Hello,

OBD is a protocol that all manufactures have to be compatible with.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

So it doesn't matter what the OEM manufacture is, if you send the OBD requests to the ECU you should get the same replies. The fact that you can select a manufacture means it is not standard OBD and is the manufactures custom CAN protocol. I would be surprised if the after market ECU really does comply with OBD protocol. Outputting data all the time compared to requesting each message is a better way of doing it.

The adaptor you have is OBD. This means you will only get OBD data which is always very limited. If it is compatible and you just want RPM and water temperature then I would stick with the OBD but if you want more data then I recommend purchasing a new interface.

This is the interface required for BMW E46>>> http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... pe/BMWMINI
Purchase from here>>> http://www.race-technology.com/gb/racin ... interfaces

Kind regards,
Support (K)

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi thanks, that clarified a few things for me. I'll send if I can enable obd only and read any data at all before I purchase a can interface.

Any particular settings I need to be aware of?

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Finally got some time to look at it. In the live monitor i can see a lot of "ok" messages and no errors, but battery voltage, water temp etc isn't registering anything. does that mean the ecu doesnt fully comply with the OBD protocol? it is set to k-line iso14230-4 fast init OBD. The ecu it self reads (and erase) fault codes also, so something is communicating)

Merry christmas!

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Figured oil pressure was wired to dl1 directly, so that is working now. Ecu data is a different story. I can see data using a universal obd reader, so thats working fine, but when i select water temp etc do display on the dash, nothing shows up.
Anyone have a screenshot showing this data through the live software or something?

ehrnst

Postby ehrnst » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi.

Can someone show me how the raw data should look in live monitor, connected only to the OBD interface. I cannot understad why a obd bluetooth adapter shows perfectly on my phone, but nothing on the RT environment

Return to “General software support”