Merge variable definitions?

ZEDohSIX

Merge variable definitions?

Postby ZEDohSIX » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 am

A new install of RT has deleted a data directory I had in the program directory. I know of no other installer that deletes non-colliding existing directories on install. Anyway, I am starting again from scratch building screen layouts, vehicle and variable definitions but have lost a lot of old run data. :evil:

I have an old variable file with dozens of user definitions. A newly installed default variable file has a simulation category not present in my old variable file.

How do I merge the old and new variable files so that I get my old user variables with the new simulation variables? :?:

Since there is no easy way to compare them I have found it is an extraordinarily painful process of opening the old, writing down the settings, opening the new and transcribing.

Surely there is a better way? Any ideas? :idea:

Support

Postby Support » Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi,

The software does back up it's own files these days, so you should have lost anything:

http://www.race-technology.com/wiki/ind ... ilesBackup

This has been added quite recently, if there are any issues with this then please let me know - I checked it on our office PCs and it worked okay.

At the moment variable files are binary and as such cannot be modified... looking forward we are changing these to be in XML so you can edit them externally and generally be more organised about things. This is actually done, but we can't active it until v8 as it will break file compatibility.

I hope that helps,

Andy

ZEDohSIX

Postby ZEDohSIX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 am

Hello Support,

I recently upgraded to V8 and appear to again have to transcribe all my custom variable defs into the new var files.

Has any progress been made in the last 6 years to merge variable files?

Thanks

Return to “General software support”