The RT live unit should be located in the car so:
- it is protected from moisture
- mounted away from extremes of temperature, so for example away from the vehicle exhaust
- It is essential that the RT Live unit should be kept out of direct sunshine as the internal battery can be damaged at high temperatures.
- not subjected to very high levels of vibration
- The device can mount in any orientation.
- Mounting brackets are supplied, although for temporary installations, “scotch lock” tape can be a preferred alternative.
The unit is supplied with a power lead and a fused automotive 12v plug, for many applications the connector will be removed for a hardwired installation. There is no problem in doing this, but the unit must still be protected fused with a 2A fuse.
There are two seperate antennas for the RT live unit:
- GSM antenna is adhesive and mounted on the windscreen.
- GPS antenna is magnetic mounted on the roof
Please take care that:
- The GPS antenna must be mounted on the highest point on the car and pointing upwards
- The GSM antenna is a self adhesive type and needs to go on the inside of a window
- GSM and GPS are connected the correct way around on the unit
- both connectors are finger tight, no tools should be used
- the cables from the antenna to main unit are not kinked, trapped, or otherwise damaged. If they are then a new antenna will be required, and this would not be covered by the warrantee.
For further guidance about locating the GPS antenna are available here.